Sunday, December 17, 2023

The Karma Chronicles: Days in the life of a dog named Karma

 


Dec 3, 2023, Vilcabamba, Ecuador

So yesterday was the most boring day ever. Once again I was relegated to watching Daddy slaving away as he is moving from the small 2 room yellow house where we have been living quite comfortably to the next door house where Cora who was my first friend here, and her owner (I think her name is Beca or something) used to live. We live up on a Hill and I have loads of space and get to roam around freely as I want, bark at anyone who comes around, chase anything that looks chase-able, sniff the place completely, poop and pee anyplace I want. It's pretty sweet. 

There have been many strangers around the past couple of weeks, some putting some white stuff on the walls and making the house look very different from before. Humans are a bit mad, they knock down some walls and put up others as if it makes a difference, then show their friends who nod and go oooh and aaah and sometimes ooolalah!

They even took a long time with a machine that made a lot of dust that made the terraces kind of ugly but then they put on this smelly shiny stuff that made it look very nice. One worker who they call Kristoferr is pretty young and I like to bark at him whenever I see him to make him scared, so funny. Daddy thinks it is because I don't like him, but I do, i just like to make him worried, my doggie dark side coming through, pwaahahahah

The sun was still shining but it was low in the sky when Daddy oddly brought my food and water bowl outside and tricked me by attaching the chain to my collar while I was distracted eating. Normally I eat well after dark in a corner inside so this was quite unusual and I knew something was up, I mean honestly does he think I'm stupid? Had he not done this and simply tried to hook me up I would have run away because I know it means he is going to leave me there and go out without me which is quite rude of him.

I mean of course it is true that if he didn't tether me I would run after him as far as I could follow him, maybe even get lost, maybe even eat poison like happened that time, or get into a fight like that time in the big city we lived in far far away in a place called Yangun or something. But hey, I'm a dog and I just follow the person who feeds me, and if I can't find him, I follow my nose. I'm neutered, otherwise I'd probably be following something else like I see other dogs doing.

Anyway, so there I was, tethered to this big stone water tank outside the house where we were living. There is shade, water, food and it is sheltered from when wet drops fall from the sky, and the dog crate that I travelled in from another place far far away (I have travelled a lot) is there with my blanket in it so pretty comfie though I get a little freaked out when I can't chase squirrels or when the vultures perch on the roof of the big house and I can't chase any of them, not that I can catch them when I am free running about but you get my drift right? 

Darkness comes and my Daddy hasn't come home, the other night when he did this that wet stuff from the sky started coming down pretty heavily so I went into my dog cage and stayed there until he came home. Last night the water didn't come from the sky, it got a little cold so I curled up in my crate and had a darn good sleep, it's a dogs life! Apparently I'm supposed to be on guard protecting the property, but I'm still figuring that one out I mean 99.9999% of the time whoever comes is expected and introduced to me, so what? I'm supposed to jump up every time someone comes, feign ferocious with aim to maim instincts? Gimme a break, I may be a street dog from the mean alleys of Kathmandu but I fell into the lap of luxury with these folks at the age of 1month so ya know, what instincts I have a deep in my gene-pool, not even close to the surface.

When Daddy, they call him Danyel did finally come home I pretended to be all worried and excited at the same time whimpering and yowling and running around like a mad banshee released from his captivity. Truth be told I was actually alright, I just acted like that so he might think that I was not happy there and ecstatic to see him. That way maybe he doesn't do it again, I suffer so much!

We went inside the big house where we now live, my bed is there nicely located under the corner of the stairs and I curled up in my bed and went straight back to sleep for 10 hours. Another boring day in this dog's life, more boring than usual because we didn't go for a walk, go to town or anything, like doesn't he know I am in the prime of my life (11yrs is prime right?) and need exercise daily, like ya know... sheesh. 


No comments:

Post a Comment